Life Circles

Life Circles

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Stake Conference - Uplifting, thought provoking, and time to take stock

I really enjoyed stake conference today. Dieter Uchtdorf, one of my favorite men spoke. Every time I see him, I remember when he gave me the blessing last year over at the Allen Stake Center. He is a big man and with a really big heart. I remember when I walked into the room where he was, I was so overwhelmed I held my breath until it was all over. He is also incredibly handsome.



Elder Gene R. Cook, Elder Oswald, and Elder Edgley also spoke.

Some of the thoughts that struck a chord with me were the importance of family togetherness. "We each determine what kind of parent we will be."

We must allow ourselves to be visible in the community, too many members are in camoflage. Excellence and quality - defined by how we feel about ourselves.

Important to be separate from evil.
Don't just be a hearer of the word, but a doer.

We are united by our faith in Christ. In the Church we are never alone.

Study Preach my Gospel. Use as a tool in family home evening. As we study it, we will strengthen our testimony and become better people.

Rely on the Spirit.

Set goals based on what we wish the outcomes to be.

CTR - Current Temple Recommend.

Pitch our tents toward the temple and away from Sodom.

As we purify our lives, the Spirit will speak to each of us individually. Once we receive personal revelation, act upon it.

Each day we should ask "what are we personally doing to increase our faith"? "What are we doing daily to strengthen our families?"

From Pres. Uchtdorf - Three things that we must be doing.

1. Hold a temple recommend - this will increase our faith and strengthen our families.
2. Study the word of God daily.
3. Speak with God daily.

Find out which areas of our lives need course correction.

Elder Edgley spoke about the son of a couple he knew who wound up in prison for the rest of his life. He wound up in solitary confinement. While there, he read the entire Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants. Elder Edgley was corresponding with him and the young man wrote him about how he wished he had read the scriptures earlier in his life. How grateful he was for the Savior.

How do our challenges define our lives? Out of pain and suffering, the Savior gives hope. He will take our yoke and give us peace.

I walked a mile with Pleasure,
She chattered all the way;
But left me none the wiser
For all she had to say.

I walked a mile with Sorrow,
And ne'er a word said she,
But oh, the things I learned from her
When sorrow walked with me.

Robert Hamilton Browning

Elder Oswald spoke about the Whitmer family. With all they had given to them spiritually, because they chose not to follow their leaders, they went into apostasy.

Listen and give heed to the Spirit.
Focus on the spiritual rather than the wordly.
Listen and follow leaders.

1 comment:

rosebud said...

I decided to hand out a Book of Mormon from this session. Although I have to admit, I am timid to let folks know of my religion not because of what I believe, but because of all that's out there about us which is "untrue" -- I don't want them to think that about me and never ask questions...

Wordles From General Conference

Wordles From General Conference