Life Circles

Life Circles

Friday, May 7, 2010

His hands

My visiting teachers were here this morning.  I love it when they come to visit.  They reminded me of a talk given in our last General Conference by Dieter F. Uchtdorf.  He shared a story that happened during the bombing of a city in World War II. A large statue of Jesus Christ was severely damaged. When the townspeople found the statue among the rubble, they mourned because it had been a beloved symbol of their faith and of God’s presence in their lives.
Experts were able to repair most of the statue, but its hands had been damaged so severely that they could not be restored. Some suggested that they hire a sculptor to make new hands, but others wanted to leave it as it was—a permanent reminder of the tragedy of war. Ultimately, the statue remained without hands. However, the people of the city added on the base of the statue of Jesus Christ a sign with these words: “You are my hands.”

It caused me to pause and reflect.  I heard the talk back in April but had forgotten it.  This week I've found myself grumbling about some of the things I'm required to do, but then this reminds me why I'm doing them.  No more grumbling.  

After all, he paid a much bigger price for me.

This is one of my favorite pictures of Jesus Christ by Greg Olsen.  It reminds me of his personal love and care of each one of us.  

Mowed the yard this morning.  Actually the front and the side yards.  More tonight when it cools down.  Summer weather is here.  Still not too hot yet though.  Just hot enough.

1 comment:

Jocelyn Christensen said...

I find that mowing the lawn is a fun break from my normal duties...I also like shoveling snow...especially when my husband has hot cocoa waiting for me when he comes in! Thanks for your comment on my blog!

Wordles From General Conference

Wordles From General Conference